While growing up, we have all seen news anchors and the kind of impact they have on the thoughts of the public. Most people opt for this field because of the high paced environment and the fact that journalism has the ability to frame the way the public thinks. It is an extremely exciting and challenging field. And of late, we can see the role technology plays in the media. This has increased the number of job opportunities that the field of journalism has to offer.
Journalism and other media related jobs are very popular amongst the youth these days. A mass communication course gets a student better chances to enter the newsroom.
What does this degree teach?
- Good communication skills
- The details of good reporting, research and how to write a good copy
- Photography, web designing, layout designing, radio programming, editing and video production
- For those who wish to be anchors or radio jockeys, it helps them improve their oratorical skills
- Working under pressure
- Importance of teamwork
Here are some of the major advantages of studying journalism and mass communication
- Students learn how to effectively communicate both verbally and vocally. This communication is very important to put across one’s thoughts in written and spoken mediums. Good writing skills, especially, are a focus of the course.
- Students learn about the nuances of telling a story properly. A lot of detail-oriented research goes into telling and developing these stories. The stories should be written or told in a way that everyone can understand.
- Students should also learn how to think creatively and out of the box. This skill comes in handy when journalists have to think from every angle to get every side of the story out and present an unbiased retelling of the story to the public.
- Students learn how to be flexible in their approach to work. Journalists have to work in high-pressure environments and have to be accommodating to different work styles.
- Students learn to network with their peers as well as with professionals. This helps them build good relationships in the industry.
- Students learn to work with a deadline. This is one field that is very fast-paced and has extreme deadlines, which is why it requires a high level of discipline.
Where can one obtain a journalism and mass communication degree?
If you wish to study journalism and mass communication, Rabindranath Tagore University in Bhopal would be a really good option for you. Students can do this course in regular or distance modes of education depending on their choices.
The faculty at the university is very qualified and experienced in the field of journalism. They encourage students to think critically and engage in class discussions. It is ensured that the students get an opportunity to learn from the professors at a personal level. Professors incorporate both theoretical and practical methods of teaching to make sure every student learns to the best of their capabilities. Classroom lectures, along with workshops related to the field of journalism are a regular part of the curriculum.
Apart from these, several events like seminars, conferences and guest lectures are held at the university on a regular basis. These events let the students learn from the unique experiences and challenges faced by the speakers visiting the university. After these events, students get the opportunity to speak to the professionals and to get their individual queries addressed. This also makes sure that the students have the opportunity to make connections with people in the field of journalism and media.
The infrastructure at the university was designed by professionals. The large campus is equipped with huge grounds, laboratories, hostel facilities, a cafeteria that serves nutritious food, a library with books on every subject the student would require and many more facilities. After university hours, students can often be found in the library or in the grounds.
The university also offers placement services that have tie-ups with several news agencies. This helps students find a job after graduation. The placement cell also trains the students on soft skills such as good interview skills that make sure students make a good first impression on any recruiting agency.
What is the eligibility criteria for journalism and mass communication courses?
To be eligible for the journalism and mass communication course at RNTU, a student must score at least 50% aggregate in their higher secondary education or graduation. Admissions are based on merit.
What are some of the job opportunities available for journalism graduates?
Students who complete journalism and mass communications courses do not only have the option to work in the field of media, but also in several other sectors. Here are some areas of work
- Newspapers and magazines, both online and print
- Radio production and programming
- TV channels for broadcasting, editing, production
- Digital media
- Government media agencies
- Event Management
- Legal Firms