Let’s talk of facts – Car accidents and collisions are not rare in Los Angeles. Every year, thousands of people get involved in such accidents, and a considerable number of these accidents happen because of drivers’ fault. California is a fault state.
Car Accident in Los Angeles
If a driver was responsible for causing an accident, they are liable for the damages endured by others. Immediately after getting injured, you need to take a few steps to protect your rights as a victim. You may also want to consult an injury lawyer in Los Angeles to know the worth of your claim. Here is an overview of the steps you need to follow.
- Inform the police. You need to report the accident to the local police and get a copy of the traffic collision report. Don’t let the other driver tell you otherwise. Never run away from the accident scene.
- Call 911. If you have sustained injuries that need immediate medical attention, call 911 right away. In fact, no matter who is injured, get medical help. Also, if someone is seriously injured, don’t move them from their position, unless you are trained.
- Photograph the accident location. You have to take photos and videos of the accident scene for evidence. Take as many photographs of your injuries and damaged vehicles as you can for your future claim.
- Get the contact information of the drivers involved. You need to exchange contact information with other drivers, like license details, name, and insurance info. Even if the other driver acted recklessly or was at fault, do not blame them or engage in confrontations.
- Inform your insurance company. You should consider informing your insurance company at the earliest but keep the communication vague. Do not admit fault or say anything that can go against you.
Get an attorney
Numerous law firms in LA offer a free initial consultation session for car accident victims. It would help if you considered lawyering up because it is not easy to get a fair settlement from the insurance company. If you need to file a civil lawsuit against the at-fault party, you have to do so at the earliest, for which you would need the expertise of an attorney. Please don’t shy away from asking questions when you meet a lawyer for the first time, and make sure that they are working on the case on a contingency fee.
You can find more on top lawyers near you in LA through an online search.