EDB is an Exchange mailbox database file present in the Microsoft Exchange server and contains all the mailbox data present on it. EDB files are prone to corruption due to hardware failures, unexpected system shut-downs, malware and ransomware threats etc. Corrupted EDB files are inaccessible and when users have important data in their mailboxes, this can be even more disastrous. Therefore, the EDB files have to be converted to a file format which can be accessed easily so that the lost data can be recovered. One such solution is to convert an EDB to a PST file. A PST file is a container which stores mailboxes in Microsoft Outlook application. When the corrupted EDB file is converted to PST, it can be opened from Outlook and all the mail data can be viewed conveniently. A PST file additionally functions as a backup copy of the EDB file in the event of EDB failures.
Some of the reasons to convert EDB to PST
- Corrupted EDB files are hard to recover in their original form.
- EDB files need to be backed up for certain legal requirements.
- If the Exchange server is located in a remote location, the EDB file needs to be backed up to comply with local laws of a country.
- PST files can be quickly opened in Outlook to selectively extract important mails.
- PST files can be used as a backup, password protected and stored in a safe location.
- How to convert EDB to PST through the Exchange Admin Center (EAC)
Conversion from EDB to PST can be performed using the native method via the Exchange Admin Center. Follow the steps below to do it through the EAC.
- Login to your Exchange account as an administrator and navigate to the admin center.
- Navigate to the classic version of the EAC, click on the permissions tab, and click admin roles as shown.
- Click on the Recipient Management from the list and click on the pencil edit icon to edit it.
- Under Roles click on the + sign and in the window that opens, select the option Mailbox Import Export in the list as shown. Click on add and finally OK.
- You will be taken to the main window. Click Save to save the overall process and ensure that the option Mailbox Import Export is present under Assigned Roles.
- Now, head over to the recipients tab as shown, click on mailboxes and select the user mailboxes to export.
- Click on the three dots (…) and select the Export to a PST file option from the drop down list.
- Select the mailbox whose contents you wish to export and click Next
- Specify the path to export the .pst file and click Next
- You have the option to request for an email once the processing is complete. Click on Finish to complete the entire process.
Limitations of converting EDB to PST through the Exchange Admin Center (EAC)
- Manual method is suited only for a few mailboxes. When the number of mailboxes are very large, this process is time consuming and laborious.
- There are no options to selectively filter emails based on attachments, keywords, sender and receivers.
- Junk folders cannot be excluded separately.
- No option present to split the target PST file based on size.
- The export depends on the admin and the user performing the operation needs to have admin credentials.
- Requires active internet connection if you are planning to export it from the EAC.
- How to convert EDB to PST using EdbMails EDB to PST converter
Step 1: The installation process is pretty straightforward.
- Download the setup from EdbMails website.
- Double click the EdbMails setup (EdbMailsSetup.exe) to install the application.
- Follow the on-screen instructions that appear to complete the installation.
Step 2: Login to the application after installing the software. You can also use the Start Your Free Trial option to test the functionality of the software.
Step 3: Select the option EDB to PST, EDB to Office 365 & Exchange and Continue.
Step 4: Choose the EDB file by clicking the Browse for EDB button, and click on Continue
Step 5: Select the required mailboxes / folders and click the Export to Outlook PST button to continue. Alternatively, you can right click on the selected mailboxes / folders and select the option Export Selected Mailboxes / Folders to PST.
Step 6: Click the Continue button to start the Export operation. In this step, you have the option of applying filters to include/exclude items and folders for the export operation. There is also an option to split the target PST file, when it reaches a size set by the user.
If the PST location has not been selected then the application will prompt to select the PST location. Select the PST location where you want to save the exported data. Ensure that you have enough free disk space to store the PST files.
That’s it! During export operation, you can view the progress as shown below. Appropriate message will be displayed on completion of the export operation. Start Microsoft Outlook and open the PST file to verify the exported items such as emails, calendars, contacts etc.
Advantages of converting EDB to PST using EdbMails EDB to PST tool
- With EdbMails you can export a large number of mailboxes for professional needs.
- Does not require internet connectivity as EDB to PST is an offline export.
- Filter options are available to selectively filter emails based on attachments, keywords, sender and receivers.
- Junk folders can be excluded for export.
- Large size target PST file can be split based on size.
- Generates a log report for verification purposes.
- No need to login to EAC or have admin credentials to perform the conversion.
If you would like to know more about the working and features of this product, you can request for a live personalized demo using the link.