Gastric Sleeve is one of the most popular bariatric surgery available in Long Island, and it is also one of the most effective when it comes to reducing fat. The FDA approves this procedure, so you can rest assured that you are getting a well-known and approved surgery. However, patients about to get weight loss procedures often approach clinics such as LI Obesity Surgery to ask about what they can expect. While the weight, age, and goals of different patients getting gastric sleeve surgery done may be varied, the procedure is pretty much the same for every patient. So you can get an idea of what you can expect when going for sleeve weight loss surgery. If you want to know more about how gastric sleeve works and how the procedure goes down, we suggest you keep reading. This article will help you build realistic expectations to keep in mind when going for your gastric sleeve procedure.

How do Long Island Weight Loss Clinics Prepare For Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

In Long Island and around the US, gastric sleeve weight loss surgery is considered a major operation that requires preparations before the actual procedure. Apart from the obvious need for equipment such as laparoscopy tools and other surgical items, there are additional preparations your surgeon will need to make before going ahead with your gastric sleeve. Without further ado, here are some standard yet critical preparations surgeons make before beginning a gastric sleeve:

Monitoring the patient’s vitals: When your weight loss surgeon is about to perform the procedure, the support staff will monitor your vital signs such as blood pressure, heart rate, body temperature, along with other vital signs, and note them down. The goal of watching your vitals is to ensure your body is ready for the procedure and you do not suffer from any health issues, which can pose a risk during your surgery.

Measuring your weight: Your surgeon will also measure your weight before the surgery and note it down in your medical records. That will give them an idea about your starting weight to accurately measure how much weight you have lost after the surgery.

IVS drip: Gastric sleeve can be stressful for your body. So to reduce some of the stress of the procedure, your surgeon will install an IVS drip that will deliver medication and anesthetics to keep you safe during the surgery.

Anesthesia administration: Once all the necessary checks have been made, your surgeon will administer the anesthesia right before your gastric sleeve surgery officially begins.

What goes on during the gastric sleeve surgery?

Once the anesthesia has been administered, your surgeon will immediately get to work because they have a finite amount of time before the anesthetics wear off. The procedure of gastric sleeve surgery looks like this:

Incisions: Your surgeon will make small incisions in your abdomen to insert a laparoscopy and other surgical tools used by Long Island bariatric surgeons into your stomach. Incisions are rarely larger than 14 millimeters in size, so you don’t have to worry about gaping wounds that are an issue with traditional weight-loss surgeries.

Inspection of the stomach: Before making changes to your stomach, the surgeon will separate your stomach’s blood supply between the part of the stomach that will be left and the part that will be removed.

Dividing your stomach: Once the blood supply has been split into two portions of your stomach, your stomach will use a stapler to split the stomach into two parts.

Creating the sleeve: Now that your stomach is split into two parts, your surgeon will remove 80% of your stomach, leaving you with 20% of your stomach. Once the procedure is complete, your surgeon will put the dressing on incisions, and you will be kept under observation for a while.

Now that you know what to expect during gastric sleeve surgery, you can look up Long Island weight loss doctors online.

Similar Posts